My photo
This is life at Knotty Creek Farm.

New Addition to the Farm

New Addition to the Farm
Mom & foal

Farm Life of Yesteryear

Farm Life of Yesteryear
Christine's Grandpa Schnedler's Plow

Friday, August 15, 2008

On the Farm

We are supposed to get another horse Saturday. She is a mature mare, 12 or 13 years old I believe. This one is for me to train and work with. That will be three horses out at the farm.

The hens aren’t laying well. Out of 15-18 hens I have only been getting 3-6 eggs a day. I have been told that the 6 roosters I have (trying to get rid of) is the problem. Since I am vegetarian I don’t want to dress the roosters out just to give them to someone else to eat. Everyone wants free range chicken, but they don’t want to clean them. I guess that puts them too close to their food. Most people I’ve talked to doesn’t want to see how their food gets from hoof to plate.

I think if more people had to process their own food their eating habits would change. I think you would see more vegetarians and Raw veggie eaters. Of course they (meat-eaters) wouldn’t admit it.

I am going to salvage some wood from my brother-in-law’s corn crib to enclose our barn (animal shelter). He lost his house to the flood and is going to clear the land.

I have to get the enclosure done because a couple of the nannies are going to “kid” (birth) the end of August. These next couple of weeks is going to be busy. But then when isn’t it busy around here.

No comments: