My photo
This is life at Knotty Creek Farm.

New Addition to the Farm

New Addition to the Farm
Mom & foal

Farm Life of Yesteryear

Farm Life of Yesteryear
Christine's Grandpa Schnedler's Plow

Monday, October 13, 2008

Auction Day

It started off as normal. Christine and I got up to receive the Daycare kids at 5:30AM. At 6:00AM I put the overalls on and headed to the barn. I was wondering if Milford (Christine’s G-Pa) started moving stuff out of his garage and barn. The Auctioneer was coming at 7:30AM.

The barn area was still dark so I took the opportunity to walk around the barn area and soak up some silence. I walked back to the house and seen Claudia outside so I talked with her for a few minutes. I went inside and got another cup of coffee and headed back to the barn.

I seen Milford’s garage opening and headed that way. I helped him uncover the hay racks that held all the stuff. He didn’t want to move too much stuff until the Auctioneer arrived. I had to being the school kids to the bus stop so I went back to the house.

Met the Auctioneer coming up the lane, the time was 7:45AM. Put the kids on the bus and headed back to the barn. We started moving the hayracks out of the barn. I was trying to hide my pleasure of getting that stuff out of there. I headed back home so Christine could go to the auction. The auction started at 11:00 AM.

I put Kamera down for a nap and watched some TV. I noticed the cars and trucks parking on the hay field and starting to move up the lane toward the house. I pulled my vehicles up to block the lane and the advancement of cars towards my yard.

Kamera woke up and I headed over to the auction. Delores was walking around with her sour face. She was trying to fluff things up to make them more appealing to buyers. I kept my distance from her. I did however hear some of her comments.

She told one of her kids that bought something, “that sold for half of what it is worth”. Was she sad it didn’t sell for more? Did she want the kids to spend more to fatten her Delores fund? Other comments were; “I can’t believe it only sold for that”, “I worked so hard on that”, “That was ‘so-and-so’s”, and my favorite one was the one she made to my wife.

Earlier that morning. Randy came over to the house and got the crock we use to make kraut with. This crock has been in the family for a couple generations. We traditionally make kraut in it every year. Delores wanted to put it on the auction. Christine was pissed to say the least. When the crock came up for sale Christine stood up front and just held her bid number up until she won it. The price she paid wasn’t that high considering what this crock means to her.

Delores comes over after Christine bought it and say, “I can’t believe you paid that much for that, I know you can’t afford it.” Christine spun around looked at her grandma with draggers and said, “Don’t worry about it, it is mine now” and turned and walked away. I was watching Delores as Christine said that. Delores looked stunned that Christine would say something like that in that tone of voice. She got the “deer in the headlight” look and turned and went back to the auction.

We went to the house with the crock. Just another day at the farm. SOLD!

No comments: