My photo
This is life at Knotty Creek Farm.

New Addition to the Farm

New Addition to the Farm
Mom & foal

Farm Life of Yesteryear

Farm Life of Yesteryear
Christine's Grandpa Schnedler's Plow

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Just Another Day

After work I went in search of a six-sided 7/8 inch comb wrench. I couldn’t find a six-sided. All I could find were twelve-sided combo wrenches. $12 for a single wrench, what are these manufactures on …crack? We already have a 12-sided wrench so I went home. I met Christine, Kathy, and Randy at the end of the lane. They were waiting for the kids to get off the school bus.

I went on to the house to change clothes before the gaggle of kids come storming down the lane. I fixed the training wheels on one of the bikes that one of the big kids (I know which one) got on and messed up. The older kids, 2 of them are out of control.

After the child care kids left we took the bikes out and went for a stroll with our visiting kids. One of the kids bought back 2 eggs from the hen house. The other one went with Kathy over to Delores in search of a clipboard for school Thursday. I kept the baby in the stroller. She was playing with a toy and content.

After dinner we went out to do chores. We went to the chickens first. A couple of the hens were a little leery of going in the coop. I noticed a stick in there. The 2 older kids had disappeared for a while after getting off the bus. I wonder if they were terrorizing the chickens and threw a stick at one and it landed in the coop. Looks like a new rule has just been made. “No one over by the chickens without me”. If you are found over there you get one waning. The next time you’re found there you are outta here.

We went over to feed the goats and Randy and Sharon (Apollo’s owner) were standing looking at HD (Christine’s horse). Apparently HD had something stuck in her throat and was drooling profusely. It is about 6:30 PM so we decide to call the vet. Mike (the vet) comes out around 8:00 PM. By this time what ever was in the horse’s throat was gone. Mike said it probably went into her stomach and she’ll have to pass it. That’s going to be an expensive poop. After hours service call = $$. Thanks HD.

I put HD and the other horses out in the pasture. By the time I got home it was 8:45 PM. I still hadn’t eaten dinner yet. This is the 2nd night in a row I didn’t get to eat until after the kids went to bed. Some thing about this routine has to change.

Still no goat kids. I do have to trim the goats’ hooves. The mares got into the feed the other day. The chickens look like they may be molting. There are feathers covering the coop floor. It’s just another day at the farm.

No comments: